Monday, January 19, 2009

The Beginning

Welcome to my blog. My name is Julia, and this blog's name is "Fat to Phat." Why this name? Well, it's because this is a weight loss blog. I want to track my progress, and perhaps share my experiences with others so they can do one of the following: learn from me, laugh at me, or just read. "Phat" is generally a term with a positive meaning, such as "cool" or "bitchin." Fat, however, is a negative term (at least to me). It implies excess weight and unattractiveness. Therefore, I want to go from "fat" to "phat." Get it? Good.

Here are my statistics:

Height: 6'0"
Starting weight: 212
Current weight: 204
Goal weight: 150

My primary method of weight loss is the Weight Watchers (WW) program. However, I don't go to meetings or pay for the online program. I've done WW many times before (with the money and the meetings), but this will be the last time I do it. I've borrowed an old Points calculator and "Getting Started" book from my mom (can you tell I'm broke?), and I talk to her about my progress with it. I'm also going to the gym at least 4 times a week and doing at least 30 minutes of cardio.

Why do I think this will be the last time I have to start WW? Why is this the time to lose the weight for good? I think I have the answer. See, I've had a lot of issues over the last few years. Last year I was finally diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, and went through some intense outpatient rehab for crazy people. They wanted to put me in the psych ward at the hospital, but I refused, so they couldn't make me go. Anyway, the point is, now I feel better (about a year later). I finally like who I am on the inside. There was no way I could work on my outside if I didn't straighten out my mind first.

Now that I like my interior, it's about damn time I like my exterior! It's time that my appearance reflects how I feel on the inside. I realize that losing weight won't solve all my problems in life. I know that. However, what I also know is that losing weight and being happy with the way I look will definitely have a positive impact in other areas of life. So while it won't make my life perfect, it's a pretty good start.

I've been going since January 2nd, 2009. The 22nd will be 21 days that I've been on WW, and you know what they always say: that if you do something for 21 days, it becomes a habit. Maybe that's how this will work. I hope so!

Thoughts, questions, whatever? Leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment